1992 vmax 4 750 secondary clutch question

Nothing else will really fit that shaft, back in the day we used to put Arctic secondaries on them, that was the best upgrade. Problem is you need the 1" keyed, conversion shaft to do that and those have dried up, I have seen guys take the stock shaft and turn it down to 1" and put a shallow key in it, it leaves some of the splines but it works. Change the secondary and you'll think its a whole new sled

I should be able to do that. I have access to a lathe.
Which Arctic cat secondary do you recommend?
What about an arctic cat primary? Would that make a difference as well?
Also, do you know what it means to be set at B3? I can buy a clutch with that setting but I don't know what that is?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I should be able to do that. I have access to a lathe.
Which Arctic cat secondary do you recommend?
What about an arctic cat primary? Would that make a difference as well?
Also, do you know what it means to be set at B3? I can buy a clutch with that setting but I don't know what that is?
Thanks.

B3 is the position of the secondary spring in the clutch and helix. The sheave has letters and the helix has numbers, A3 - 33 degrees, B3 - 43 degrees, C3 - 53 degrees (of spring twist).

Ken

I've never made the conversion myself but most recommend either the AC Roller or the AC Bear Cat clutch. The Bear Cat has a larger diameter so you get more gearing out of it. You can get new AC roller clutches on ebay for about 200.00 or find a used one.

Just be aware that if you change the clutches you will need to adjust your centre distance. I believe you need to reset the centre distance to 369mm with the AC Roller, stock is 365mm. The AC Roller is a little smaller in diameter than the stock Yamaha Secondary.

I have an aftermarket secondary shaft for the AC clutch and may get around to doing the conversion one of these days.

Ken

Last edited:

Back