secondary set up on 96

steelroamer

A little confused here, I got a new helix for my clutch, I was told to set it at 6-3. I am assuming (this being my first yamaha) that the rear of the spring would go into the # 3 hole and the front (helix side) would go in the #6 hole. I then turned the helix about 40 deg to the right (facing the sled) and bolted it down. it has a fair bit of preload. Does this sound right or am I out to lunch?

thanks
Ian

6-3 is 90 twist that is alot . But if that is what they called for than i guess it is right . 90 twist is what I do for my roller secondary`s .!! Not sure what set up you have or what spring . Are you the guy that asked for my turbo ???
Usually 50 60 twist is lots . The way you read it is 1 is 10 2 is 20 3 is 30 and on helix that number is by 10`s so 6 would be 60 so 6 and 3 is 90 degrees .
Hope this helps Email me at home if anymore questions needed at anzai.kirk@gmail.com
Good luck
Kirk

90 degree twist sounds right , i believer its 90 or even 100 on our 95 , that came from one of Yammiegods clutch set-ups and he knows what he is talking about when it come to clutch set-ups.

SORRY I guess I don`t know what I`m talking about !!! It must be a light spring grn/red I have some springs that you will NOT twist past 30 degree .. SORRY for wasting your time next time I`ll keep my mouth SHUT .
Thanks TY here I come

Well I got out for a bit of a ride today on a lake behind my house. the lake is really rough so I could not really get it streched out. it is engaging around 5500 and really hard. seems to be shifting around the 8700 mark and pulls like a train, it does however seem to bog at the bottom end until it starts to rev. I guess my question is do i just live with the bog at the bottom or what should I try?
thanks
Ian

I can't stand a bog. All you should have to is raise your needles one position and I bet your bog is gone. If that doesn't do it, you can put larger pilot jets in. Also make sure your belt deflection is set correctly. It's amazing how much difference this can make.
If you are going to trail ride this machine, I would get that engagement down to about 4500 or so. It takes a race track full of picks on good ice to hook up at 5500 RPM's.

Thanks Kahuna's I will try raising the needle and see how that works, and your right about the engagment I have 144 brand new picks in it and it spins like there were none. I am going to have to pick up a few more springs!! what should i be looking for as far as deflection?
thanks again guys for your help
Hey 4holervmax thanks for talking to me the other day sorry for the poor cell service (northern ont.!!) let me know about the turbo!!
Ian

Belt deflection can be set by adjusting the belt while the back of the sled is off the ground. I like mine set so that it makes the track creep just a bit, but I don't let mine just sit and idle when I stop. That tends to put flat spots on your belt. Adjust it so that the top of the belt is above the top of the secondary sheave about 1/8th inch. If the track spins, adjust the belt so it doesn't spin the track. This makes the clutching start in "low gear".

what the ?? is going on here?

I've got the belt sitting where it is supposed to but it was not coming back to the top on rundown and that's when I noticed that when I do get it all the way closed that the cam is not touching the buttons. any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 133
thanks Kirk,
I will and i measured the new helix with the stock and at the bolt up surface the new one is almost 10 thou thicker
Ian

I bought new buttons and an 8bu belt...... what a difference belt is riding nice and high and the helix is staying in contact with the buttons. I also raised the jet needle one slot and the bog is gone!
does anyone know where to get a good deal on the 8bu belt? just paid 171.91 for one......yikes!!

thanks again guys
Ian

Back