Finally got me a VMax 4

Loosenuts

Sorry if you already read this on the TY site.

1993 all stock....now the fun begins. I have been reading on this site and TY until my brain turned to mush. Where and what to start with for mods. I would like to pipe it....but what is available for options? I also have a brand new stock suspension from my 97 vmax 600 sx and a M10 which should I use??? Any preferences? The suspension in it has some issues and I would like it to ride a little better.

Congratulations and welcome to the site.
Either suspension will be an improvement over the stock skid. I have both M-10 and Proaction suspensions in my vmax-4's. Really isn't much difference in ride between the two. You will need to buy the correct mounting kit from M-10. If you have never installed a skid before, the M-10 installation kit might be a little easier to install and get the holes drilled in the right spot. My only complaint with the M-10 is that parts are a bit pricey and they are challenging to get in the sled. The proaction seems to go in easier in my opinion. If you are going with the proaction I would use a skid out of an RX1. They have more travel and have heavier shocks that work well with the heavy 4.
As far as pipes, you have a lot of options on used stuff. Twins for around $200 or quads for around $500. Aaen is the only manufacturer that still makes pipes for the Vmax-4, but they are pricey. Think they are around $900 new!
You should post some pics of your machine.

Last time I talked to Bruce at PSI, he said they either still had pipes or would make them, but that was about a year ago. Aeen's pipes are $999 on their site. It is a VERY good idea to get the 750 cranks phased and welded if you are going to pipe it, especially with the Bender, RPC, or Aaen pipes because they run as higher RPM than the PSIs. I would get the crank welded no matter what pipes you use though.

Congfatulations ! Youre obsession has just begun. My first sled was a 93. Now I have a 95,96 and am looking at 92. You definitely should get quad pipes, best sounding sled I've ever heard. I have psi on my 93, never welded the crank, but I spin it no more than 8500. Look into getting stiffer primary spring too. Get engagement rpm up helps performance alot

If you go from stock pipes to dual or quads, is there any other modifications that are required for the sled? Examples jetting etc??

Yes. Jetting is crucial to prevent burning a piston, and getting the most out of the pipes. There are several pages on this site with info on jetting. Each brand of pipes has it's own jetting requirements. In addition to the main jets, you may have to change the pilot jets, needle clip position, and possibly the air screws. The other most important thing will be the clutching. Again, there is a lot of info on this site for setting up clutching depending on the pipes you are going to use. You need to set up the clutches to get the engine running in its power band. Again, each brand of pipes runs best at a certain RPM.

If you go from stock pipes to dual or quads, is there any other modifications that are required for the sled? Examples jetting etc??

If you have a 750 and want to run quads you have to get your crank welded

If you put stock 800 pipes on a 750 you go with stock 800 jetting

If you want to change the secondary to 95-up you need to also change the chaincase, jack shaft,and drivers from an 800. If you're swapping the suspension out, that is the time to change it. I highly recommend this mod. I did it to my 93. Well worth it. Everything is stronger, wider chain, bigger Axle and infinitely better selection of helixes.

Ted....thanks for the advise. I plan on doing some of these changes next summer. For now I am just tweeking some things and searching for stuff like the pipes. I was wondering if there is anything I can do short term for the secondary. As it sits it will stick and I can barely even load it on the trailer. Going to Waconia this weekend.....on the hunt for some goodies !!!

If you want to change the secondary to 95-up you need to also change the chaincase, jack shaft,and drivers from an 800. If you're swapping the suspension out, that is the time to change it. I highly recommend this mod. I did it to my 93. Well worth it. Everything is stronger, wider chain, bigger Axle and infinitely better selection of helixes.

Jackshaft is needed, chaincase and drivers are not. You will need to source the correct bearing for the chaincase inner top. Simply measure diameter of jackshaft where bearing sits and the size of the hole in the chaincase. This will give you bearing size you need. Same goes for oil seal. Recently did this to my '93. Kept stock chaincase and drivers. I had already swapped out gears years ago for 17 wide, 800 gears and chain.

Back