Quad piping question

Constip8r

Hey everyone, not to sure on what sub catagory to put this in, so I'm just posting in the 750 threads. I'm planning on doing a 96 cdi swap in my 92, now because I would then be running the rpms of the 800 vmax, would I need a set of 800 pipes or 750 pipes? Are there different flanges?

Pipes are designed to run at a certain rpm. Spinning the motor faster doesn't necessarily mean better. Some pipes have a narrow rpm range to make power. 800 Cdi allows more rpm if needed, and also has a better timing curve.

Right, from what I read, with a 90* motor, you don't want to run anything more than 9200??? And most quads are made for that rpm range, it's the 180*motors that aloe for the higher rpm pulls, so with the 800 cdi, you just need to reclutch for that 9200ish spot and make sure not to over rev correct?

Depends on the pipes. Psi's for the 750 run best at 8350, aaen like 8800 or so. Benders are also in the 8800 range. if I was running quad pipes without a welded crank I would expect to need crank work before long. Psi's are about the safest at 8350.

So hypothetically speaking if someone were to have a set of PSI quads, the 800 cdi wouldn't be worth it? Or because of the changed power curve it would still be benificial?

It's still a small gain at 8350. There is a dyno sheet here somewhere but I think it's about 2hp. Not a lot really.

Back