rear skid front shock Subsitute

Kevin Brown

Hi Gang
I have a 94 vmax 4 with stock suspension. the front shock is toast. Is there a suitable replacement shock available?

Can anyone recommend one?
Thanks
Kevin

Hi Guys. Went to to Yamaha . they have a shock available. $450 . ridiculous. I have found a kimpex shock 04-259 its gas. has the correct extended length & compressed is less than what I need. The eyes are different so some bushings will be required to be made. So I think it should work but
The big question is the shock body size. Does anyone know if my spring will fit on this shock?
Thanks
Kevin

Another update. Kimpex customer tech service did return my e mail saying they did not have an official replacement shock . which I assumed. I did call Royal Distributing and had a guy pull a 04-259 off the shelf. Nice guy! He measured it for me. The spring seat is 2" dia. so a v max 4 spring will not fit over the spring seat. It might however fit over the body minus the seat. im looking into it.
Kevin

I just got a new oem shock for a vmax 500
It came complete with a spring. Here is a question. the vmax 500 spring is .270" wire dia. v max 600 is .300" wire dia & the v max 4 spring has a wire dia of .330"
anyone know why & should I put the v max 4 spring back on the new shock? Tughillbilly did you use the v max 600 spring or v max 4 spring?
thanks
Kevin

i used the spring that came with the shock. i had to mod my connecting brackets a few years back to put a kimpex nitro that was exact for the small end but needed a custom bushing for the big end. i didnt like it because it fit in there to perfect with zero tolarences. i switched to the vmax shock and spring and had found that i needed to adjust the strap limiter down about an inch. that being said 500 miles so far on the vmax shock and no issues.

Thanks tughillbilly.
I did end up putting the stock 750 spring on the oem Yamaha vmax 500 shock which I believe to be identical to the vmax600 & 750. I just rode over 110 miles yesterday. It worked great with no issues whats so ever.

Kevin

It's good to know that springs are interchangeable between those two models. Make sure you report any issues if you get them though please, Kevin. Although 110 miles is probably enough to be safe.

Kevin,
Do you have the part number for the shock you bought? Also did you replace the rear shock and if so , what did you use?

Thanks
Nator

Back