92 first time out since 3/06

opsled

Well we finally got decent snow here in SE Wi and the boys wanted to go for a ride. My youngest just got done with putting together a 78 Exciter that I bought for $25 and wanted to take it out for a spin and my 92 hadn't seen snow since it's rebuild and maiden voyage in March of 06. The RX is my main ride and was ready to go.

The 92 was built using the best parts from 3 different sleds and was a complete tunnel/bulkhead seperated, strip, polish, rebuild back to stock from the ground up and had only about 150 miles on it since it was completed in Jan of 06. It was drained and summerized in 06 and has been in hibernation untill 2 days ago. I had a set of Bender twins I wanted to put on it so pulled the carbs, did a quick clean and installed some 143.8 mains. The sled was dry on fuel so I squirted some oil into the 4 fuel lines before I put them on the carbs to be sure that the first load of fuel the carbs got when I primed it had oil in it. I filled it with some good 93 octain unreformulated fuel, closed the cap, blew into the fuel tank vent line with lung preassure and watched the carbs fill with fuel. I then put the air boxes back in, buttoned everything up, moved it into the cold end of the shop and put it on the stand. I turned on the key, flipped up the choke and gave the rope a pull. It came to life 10" out on the second pull and I flipped off the choke. She settled into a nice 1800rpm idle ( ahh that sweet sound). I let it warm for a minute or so and started to give it some throttle but it seemed fat. It was idling perfect but started to blubber with anything over 1/4 throttle and when I bagged it it just about died (instantly) from an overload of fuel. I let it come back to idle and it cleaned right up but it was wayyyyy fat with any throttle. I'm thinking WTF this shouldn't be but it was so it came back in and I pulled the carbs to rejet. I pulled off the first bowel drain and there in the bottom laid the main jet, pulled drain's 2,3 and 4 and found a main jet in the bottom of each one. The lesson learned is that you need to tighten main jets beyond finger tight no matter how many times you are interupted by the phone, your children, people stopping in to shoot the $hi++ and/or looking for parts or they will fall out. LOL I put the main back in (tight this time), more oil in the lines, reprime, second pull start and now it runs. The pipe sounds great but I still am running the stock silencer. I have both the steel and aluminum Bender silencers that need repacking and I will put one of them on soon. I also need to get Tony's clutch setup in but it is still fun and hauls mail even with the stock clutching.

My youngest had a ball on his old 78 and it never missed a beat all day. It was a real rat when it showed up here and he did quite a bit of work to it. It was a complete tear down with a clean, detail and quick polish, different track with 92 carbide trail studs, rebuilt skid, chopped windshield, custom bars, Enticer skis, 76-77 wideners adapted to work on 78 spindles and just a good going over. He want's to redo the seat and a few other things but it's good to go for now. Total investment in this sled is less than $50 between what I paid for it and what he had to buy but I have a barn full of old Yammies and there was some parts robbing going on in there to get it done. I don't have any before pics but it took him about 4 days to get it to this point.

We put on a little over 90 miles on in an afternoon so it wasn't a huge ride but that is a work out on an old Exciter and a good streach of the legs for the Vmax. I don't get to spend as much time with my kids as I would like so it was a very good day.

opsled

Attachments

• Steve's 78 Exciter 023.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 023.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Steve's 78 Exciter 028.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 028.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Steve's 78 Exciter 030.jpg
    Steve's 78 Exciter 030.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Steve's 78 Exciter 024.jpg