Carb plastic tabs -- remove yours now!

So just break the tabs off or remove the whole white piece. What is the purpose of these? I have never looked in my air boxes for all I know they are original.

If you only break off the tabs or remove them entirely,I think this may upset airflow into carbs.Doing so would be the same as cutting sections out of a velocity stack and putting it on.I personally leave mine intact and plastic weld them up solid.

Scott,

Thanks I am just going to pull them out then. I was going to do it today, but I spent 3 hours this morning changing the 16 plugs in my wife's Hemi. So I will have a look see tomorrow.

If they haven't been removed allready or replaced with new you will find some with problems. Count them. Two per carb. If there are any missing pull the carbs and look in the reed cage. Many have been found turned sideways in the reeds just bouncing around.

Report back on what you've found. Always interesting to know.

Good Luck, opsled

Patrick...dude 16 plugs that's like 4 VMAX4'S!!

The price to pay to have a 360hp family grocery getter. Thanks for putting that into perspective of Vmax4's I didn't even think of that. Thread hyjack over.

By the way I still didn't have a chance to get out to the barn and look at the 4.

I pulled opened my carb slides and looked with a flashlight and mirror and couldnt see anything stuck in the reeds, Just as I was going put it together, I remembered " I have a borescope" to make a long story longer 3 of the 4 reeds had a white tab stuck in them at the top of the cage. sure glad I didnt take a short cut

I pulled opened my carb slides and looked with a flashlight and mirror and couldnt see anything stuck in the reeds, Just as I was going put it together, I remembered " I have a borescope" to make a long story longer 3 of the 4 reeds had a white tab stuck in them at the top of the cage. sure glad I didnt take a short cut

Nice catch!!

Well I looked in the air boxes today. I started on the PTO side, all the pieces where there, so far a big relief. I then looked in the recoil side and there was a tab missing on the left right side, crap. Pull the boxes and carbs and I cannot find the piece, not up against the reeds or anything. So no idea where it is or how long it has been gone. I am hopping it has long been gone or has passed prior to me owning the sled. So the question is do I need these or can I just toss them. Do I need to fiddle with the carbs if I removed them or since the sled it stock just put it all back together without them. Sled has ran great for the 6 years I have owned it and judging by the staining this tab has been gone a long time.

Thanks for the input.

Wow..i signed on for specs to torqe my cylinder and heads down..while cleaning the old gasket off of motor i saw one of these tabs inside my reeds..i wondered where it came from..now i know!! Thanks! !

Great Post!! I just pulled airboxes and Carbs off to see and sure enough, 2 tab's are creased and flimsy ready to fall off into reed cage or worse cylinder! What a save really glad i read this post!! also Pilot jet cant blow through it that would have been costly!!
Eric

Back