Hard Steering

diggerzmound

I recently purchased a 94' Vmax 4 and it finally snowed enough to take it out last week. I couldn't hardly ride it though for the hard steering. Hard steering and tons of power makes for a dangerous ride.. It is all I can do to steer it after a 5 minute ride, while moving of course..

Any hints or suggestions on what could make the steering hard?

Starts by Checking the straps in your skid, they have a bunch of holes in them 5 i belive, make sure your in the middle. lf there not, put them there and take it for a test ride. These straps have a big effect on your steering

As Marksan posted the front limiter straps on the skid effect how much of the sleds weight is placed on the skis.

Question though, what do you mean by
what could make the steering hard?
Do you mean it it takes a lot of effort to turn the bars but the sled responds? If so there is a grease zerk on the back of the steering arm just under where the tie rod bolts to it. Give that a shot or two of grease and try that.

Or are you refering to an oversteer/understeer condition? If so then look at the front limiter straps as Marksan said. Also, an oversteer/understeer condition can be caused by have a mismatch of carbide to studs ratio.

Ron

When I took my 95 out for the first time it was a bear to turn the bars. Only rode about two miles. So before I went again i hosed the heim joints with liquid wrench. And didn't notice any resistence all night. Must have been dry from the previous owner leaving it sit outside in the elements.

I reccomend 2 25lb bar bells and reps of about 50-60 a night. Also usfull for thouse deep powder expiditions that dont end so well :p

Welcome to the site! :schild27::schild27::schild27:

First I would recommend that you download the service manual from here: http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4779

There are a lot of lubrication points in the steering system. Chapter 2 and 3 will show you where they are. The hardest one is the link at the bottom of the steering shaft, behind the engine. Service manual shows you to take the engine out (yeah, right). I have some liquid Teflon spray that I spray on the steering shaft and let it run down to the bottom, which works alright.

Pages 2-41 and 2-42 explains the rear suspension straps, which Marksan suggested. That will control how much weight is on the skis, which will control the steering.

Shark

I downloaded the manual and found those points you mentioned.

I don't think its the track or I'm that weak.. I can feel the steering stem twist there is so much resistance. I was just hoping it wasn't the strut/shock setup. There is a dent in one of the struts. I looked at the manual and it doesn't look like a dent would interfere with the steering..

Back