how easy should track roll?

brian102

i have the back of the sled lifted in the air and when i got the machine they had the track as tight as it would get no sag what so ever, when i would rev it up soon as i let off the track would stop spinning like right now!:beathead:so i loosend it up now to about an inch sag and i still cant turn it by hand i thought i read somewhere one of the guys on the forum here could spin his with just two finger?

your must be the one i read about, is that the stock skid? mine has a ski doo one, i would still think i should be able to move it!

ive tried spinning it with two hands as hard as i fricken can and it just barely wants to move

probably robbing my power and my mpg:(

well as it is a new sled (to me haha) im not sure about bearings i checked all the bearings on the skid iiself and they seem to be fine, we changed the chaincase oil and tightened the chain (to finger tight) before we left for upnorth.

good point to check should the rotor seem loose? i kinda messed with that when we messed with the chain case and i can actually rock my rotor side to side and back and forth a little bit, its like its loose where it comes together? but looks like it was made that way ive never smelled it like the brake was hanging but thats almost what it acts like

im gonna go out to the garage and try and figure it out for a while, ill try to post pics it hard to explain what i mean, it looks lke the outer shell (where the pad actually rubs) is seperated from the inners, its loose where they connect

Last edited:
The post your refering I believe was Quadzilla Racer's talking about the end results of blueprinting his driveline. Getting ever shaft and bearing in line or shimmed to spin free. Which would be less rolling resistence equaling more speed. The Yamaha manuals read around 1" of sag with 20 pounds down pull in senter of track. The ST models where about an 1/8" more sag. I use four 5 pound weights set in side the rails on the track and adjust from there. Now also I saw on here somewhere that the M-10 manaul reads 1" sag with no weight. When I first took my sled out with the 144" this year it was set to Yami ST specs and was like the brake was on when you let of the gas. Later I backed it off to M-10 specs and it rolls good and coasts fine but will rachet once in a while if on it hard. NEED ANTI RACHETS. Right there is a case of not taking advice from members on this site. :frech32: Easiest advice I can give is lift your sled, loosen the track and see if everything turns normal to other sleds, if good then run it as loose as you can without the track racheting all the time.

yeah we loosend so almost an inch hangs while it hangs there with no weights, it spins so much easier but still have to use two hand to spin it, i guess i wont worry about it for now as long as im not having problems i want to put a 144 skid under or atleast 136 i want it to float alot better over the bumps i will worry about redoing the bearings and stuff on the jackshaft then so on to the 144 what would be a good skid to use? it has the holes for a ski doo 121 right now, is there alot of ride difference from 136 - 144? i like the looks alot better but i could just put extensions on my 121 now to make it 136, probably 144 would be a little far correct?

mine did have the jackshaft balanced..when you unload the sled off the trailer i just had to tilt the bed and it would roll off without touching the sled skis and all..i'm not sure if they all do that thou..mine rolls so good when you pull the recoil it would actually roll abit back

i hear that, our boat gets about 2-3 haha

so about my 136 or 144 question? have you done that before

ill replace all the bearings and stuff then maybe it will spin better as well

Last edited:
mine did have the jackshaft balanced..when you unload the sled off the trailer i just had to tilt the bed and it would roll off without touching the sled skis and all..i'm not sure if they all do that thou..mine rolls so good when you pull the recoil it would actually roll abit back

Not mine, even with the track loosened, it still takes two hands to pull the track around.

Back