leaking some kind of fluid primary shaft seal

jaredtowne

just got this thing, what a riot, anyways, was doing some inspecting and noticed some pooling of liquid in the belly. I left it idleing and searched to find fluid leaking out of the seal on the front of the motor... on the shaft that goes to the primary...

I apologize, this is my first yamaha sled, let alone a 4 cylinder.. so im unsure of the actual names of the parts. so let me break it down.. The shaft that the primary clutch bolts onto, goes into the case at the front of the motor, where it enters this case it is flinging oil out as it runs, and gets worse as it gets hotter. .. I do see 2 bolts that seem to be a fill and a drain,, what exactly goes in here? it almost looks like 2 stroke oil but i cant tell if its that or just regular old oil .

Eh.. im about to take some pictures of this mess so i can get some help..

Just curious if this seal was common to leak, how hard it is to replace, what should be in that part of the case. the fluid is greenish, but does not smell like antifreeze.. and has all the properties of oil.

any input would be fantastic.

Oh yeah, is there some genius way to tell if this thing is running on all 4 that i am missing? I just take the plugs out and see how they look, didnt know if there was a fail-proof way.

Its also real hard to steer, where to look first?

Thanks everyone, im used to my poolaris xc700 twin :smilielol

that`s the gear box your talking about..usually takes something like 80/90 gear lube..stuff typicaly smells god awfull..LOL

fire up the sled, then feel each manifold right at the head, and see if all four are getting warm/hot...
these sleds idle with a off beat..kinda like a muscle car with a very large cam..they smooth out later in the rpms..so that sound may make ya think it has a miss, when it don`t..

changing that seal is gonna be a pain...gotta rip the motor down..

on the steering, pull back the rubber boots, and lube up the pivot joints, and all related steering rod ends..

Last edited:
yeah, from what i could see, i figured it involved seperating the cases.. blehh.. maybe some of that good lucas gear oil stop leak fluid will do the trick till spring time.. it definatlly sounds like a muscle car at idle, this thing just sounds and feels insane.. im going to take some pictures of some stuff that i have questions about so some of you guys with experience can tell me if it looks right...

For what its worth, i would do exactly what you are going to do, in your situation. l have used Lucas (used to be wynns) and do use Lucas for many things, from my sleds, motorbikes,200 series excavator motor, final drives, swing motor etc etc, jeep diffs and so on , i put it in (diluted) for prevention as well as for cure.

When you add the lucas to your PTO drive you will be affecting 3 seals, the one you can see and two more internally. lts important that you take a picture or two of that seal that you can see and keep an eye on it. Sometimes seal rejuvinator can cause the seals to expand too much/blow ( havent seen this for years, and then it was on really old seals) if you see this happening, it would be a good idea to stop use as the same may be happening to the internal crank seals, which could lead to fiscal pain.

go to a big supplier if you can, lucas have a huge range of products, exlpain what you are trying to achive and they will be able to help you get the best one for you app. Perhaps somthing for low pressure, low -med temp would be somewhere to start.

lt goes without saying that a proper repair as soon as possible would be the best way to fly!

........................ some though, would have you "shot at dawn" for using any addatives ;)

Last edited:

Back