melted cylinder

If we knew what area you were located that might be a member in the same area that would be willing to help you out.

i will change my profile to reflect my location, ive thought aboyut it and decided tosend the cylinder to u.s. chrome and see if the can replate it and than porting wont be a issue

Good decision to get cylinder repaired. Once you get it back together you may want to consider running 50% premium & 50% racing fuel sense its been ported. There are many threads you can find on this websight concerning the less than desirable gasoline available today. If you run into any problems just ask for help. there should be some members around your area willing to stop and help you out. Tom

Jeff, here's my $0.02.

Motor has had some work done, piston window has been opened up, there is copper coat on the gasket, if there is a single head gasket more then likely the cylinders have been lifted. measure the base gasket thickness and let us know. Take a picture of the cylinder from different angles and post. Make sure you show one from the intake side as well. The problem is definatley like 3:16 stated is detonation but why. 90 % of the time I'll agree that bad fuel will be the culprit. Other things to check are the rubber intake manifolds if the are sucking air it will cause a lean condition in that cylinder only. Also if you can measure the squish that would be useful in determining how much work has been done to the motor.

/Dan

i will get more pics, it did have 1 real thin copper head gasket whereas the base plate gaskets looked pretty thick, i might just bring it all back to stock and just ride it

If you're In Kenosha Wi you have a guru right in your back yard. Pete Nydahl (Nydahl Machine). He is at 8100 144th Ave in Bristol. He is just south of 50 where the old Thomson strawberry farm was. His # is 262-857-7078. He worked with and for Olaf Aaen (another back yard source) and still does machining for him. He did the crank on my 750 and is very familiar with these engines. The guy knows his shit. He is now more into boat racing but does it ALL when it comes to 2 strokes. Give him a call and bring your stuff to him to have a look at.

I took a set of nicely ported and sleved 540 cylinders to him to be bored. He took a quick look at them, commented on the high quality of the port work and asked if the head had been cut. I told him I didn't know as I had bought the engine as it was. He told me to bring the head with when I picked up the cylinders so he could measure it. He figured just by looking at the cylinder porting that the head probably had been cut .010 but he would have to measure the cylinders to be sure. His original first look with just his eye turned out to be dead on. If he can't tell you what you have going on with your engine mods knowone can.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

thanks phil, i got surgery to get my back fused on thursday and after that ill run it out to him jason

Call him first (to make sure he is there) and explain what you have. He will let you know what to bring.

He does outboard boat racing and isn't always around so you are best to call and set up a time with him.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

Last edited:

Back