Rich Problem

Pinto 018

I am having a problem with my 94 with one side the motor running rich compared to the other. I removed the air boxes and put UNI filters on it. i rejetted it to 145 and the PTO side cylinders are a touch lean but the mag side is running way rich even if I jet down a size. any idea's why this would be? I have 115lbs compression accross the bord and cleaned the carbs multiple times.

Could be weak fire on that cylinder..weak fire will give about the same plug reading as running rich will..

check tyhe plug cap, see if it looks coroaded where it pops onto the plug..then, thread it off (the cap has a threaded spike, that threads into the plug wire) anyway, thread the cap off, and check the end of the plug wire to see if its coroaded, if it looks to be, cut about 1/4in off it, thread it back on, and give it a try..

could be in the carbs also though, bad choke plunger, floats off, etc..

thing is..who knows whats going on under the hood with them pods???

did this probley exsist before you ditched the stock boxes, and went with the pods??

AL P

Same Problem

My motor is running rich on the mag side, I have also leaned down on that side and it is still running rich. I have had the crank welded and it is not of faze. I have put new reeds in and did a carb job...still same problem. A friend of mine told me that it could be the coil. I have not tried it yet but first chance I get I am going to swap coils and see what happens. If you happen to do this before me can you please post it and let me know what happens?
Thanks

If you have a multi meter, you can check the primary, and secondary resistance of the coil, so that way you can be sure, before spending the money on a new one..

It`ll show if its bad or not, by the resistance value...

I have yet to run across a coil, that had correct resistance values, and not work fine (primarily motorcycle coils, same thing pretty much, a coil is a coil..EI coils usually average around 3ohms or less...points coils, are in the 5ohm range)..I think the vmax coil, is around 2ohm? would have to look in the book..

typically, a plug reading rich...when its caused by a weak coil..will show on a ohms test..

I just have a feeling, the problem you guys are having, is not gonna be coil related...from what I`ve gathered on here over the last few years, i can`t recall off hand, anyone having a stock coil go bad?

but as i mentioned above, them caps to wire connections, can get cororaded, and cause weak fire...

AL P

Hey guys, I just dug out my book, and here`s the coil testing info & values..

the primary value, should read 0.16 - 0.24 ohms..(primary, would be one lead from your meter to the power wire to the coil, and the other lead from your meter, to the metal mount area on the coil)
The secondary coil value, (remove the plug caps before this test) should read 3.92 - 5.88 ohms (this would be one lead from your meter to one plug wire, and the other lead from your meter, to the other plug wire)..

to test the caps, insert one lead from your meter into the hole where the spark plug would go, and the other lead from your meter, into where the wire would go..should read 4.5 - 5.5 ohms..

AL P

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for the information it is very helpful. I will try and get out to my shop between now and Friday and do the tests.
Thanks again!
Mr. Speed

I had both coils checked for primary value and both where the same. Could it possibly be a leaky diaphram in the fuel pump?

Not if it is running back through the impulse line. It would be loading it up through the crank rather then the carbs.

Back