Air cleaner element

maxrips

My sled had been sitting a while, so I decided to clean out carbs. When doing so I pulled the element on top of air box off...and it literally crumbled. I tried searching the subject but no luck. Yamaha doesn't sell the part any longer. I figured this must be a common problem, what are you guys using to replace it ?

I think alot of people are leaving them out. I have read more than a few threads about driveability issuses caused by people putting
different materials in there.

On the newer V4's they changed them from foam to a screen style, not sure what year they did that but they work and don't fall apart.

Same thing happened to my 93. I put the screen type ones in instead, they came off a 95. Now, the long foam element on the hood on my 96 also started to crumble so I pitched it. Not sure if it's necessary part

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my 93. I put the screen type ones in instead, they came off a 95. Now, the long foam element on the hood on my 96 also started to crumble so I pitched it. Not sure if it's necessary part

That foam element in the hood is till available. I replaced on both my 95 and 97 this past fall. They were about $50.00 each from my local Yamaha dealer. You know you are getting ripped off when the owner of the dealer is joking around about how hight the price is for a piece of foam!

Ok thanks for input...I'll cut some fine mesh/screen to fit n paint. I checked DGYamaha site and it showed the foam obselete.

For the foam under the dash to keep the leaves and powder out I use "aquarium filter foam". You want the most open cell type.

Back