Is there a product out there to dupilcate the gold finish on the hardware?

mistermax

Morning Boys,
Has anybody found a product to use to redo the gold finish of many of the parts under the hood?

Thanks
Kirk

Chris-- have you used this Eastwood Golden Cad System? I have been wanting a product like this but $55 for three cans a rattle paint is kind of high... Just wonding how well it works.

No Carl, I never had to. Until recently I worked for a company that did the zinc plating in house, so I just had my stuff redone at work.

Thanks Chris
I will order some up. I think I have seen that product now at car shows on brake boosters and such. might work Thanks
where in mi are you?

You just send it all off to a plating company, I just did my exciter sx, strip it down, divide the parts into gold silver and black, the come back looking like new, if they're really bad you may have to glass bead the stuff,

You just send it all off to a plating company, I just did my exciter sx, strip it down, divide the parts into gold silver and black, the come back looking like new, if they're really bad you may have to glass bead the stuff,

Bill---Let's see some pics of that Exciter SX!

You can plate stuff at home by buying a kit from this place. I haven't tried their kits myself, but I dabbled in making my own zinc plating solution. The second link is to my website that shows a couple parts I did in my own solution.
http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/zinc-plating-kits.html

http://mjdevries.is-a-geek.com/e-plating/index.htm

My own solution was made with Hydrochloric acid, Zinc, Salt, and Sugar. You start out with a water/acid dilution strong enough to dissolve some zinc into the solution. Just start with a small amount of solution and dissolve some zinc into the solution and then further dilute it with water. The acidity cannot be too high or it will not plate out when you go to electroplate. You need salt to make the solution conduct electricity and the sugar acts as a buffering agent, whatever that means. I make the plating better. Without the sugar the plating ends up grainy, like sand. I have a small power supply that I bought that allows me to control the voltage and current. Being able to control the current is the most critical to plating.

Bill---Let's see some pics of that Exciter SX!

Well I need tro get some better pics you know how I hate to show my stuff off.

As far as the plating goes, clean your parts, if they're really rusty, glass bead them, box them up and send them, It takes like a week, they look brand new

Back