no fuel mileage

fixerman519

I am new to the v-max 750 , run a 800 a few years ago and do not remember it being this hard on fuel , I went through the carbs , clutches , every thing is clean and STOCK as far as I can tell , I put on 500 kms yesterday ( with rx1's and F-7 's ) had no trouble staying with them ( on smooth sections ) but could not get more than 120 kms ( 65-70 miles ) and I was on fumes ?? is this normal mpg, if so what mods can be done ( on a budget ) to help with "the thirst " , absolutley love the sled just my buddies are getting pissed stopping for fuel so much ( sled has just turned to 4000 kms ) , thanks for the help

Welcome to the site fixerman519! Tell your buddies that you have a muscle sled and it takes serious quantities of fuel to feed these bad boys. The tank is not all that large either resulting in more fuel stops per trip vs the average sled. BUT, the awesome acceleration is priceless.....much better than the F7...at about 50 miles I am looking for a gas station..

It does piss them off to be passed at the top end by a 15 year old sled , so it is not only me looking for fuel quite often . I actually use the same litre/km or less than the F7's and 8's sometimes less , but I dont hold near enough on board.Thought about making a backpack out of a 5 gallon jerry can but figured I didnt need anymore weight ! , do they make rear suspension springs for guys around the 250 mark ?

55-65 busting powder and 80-90 mpg on the trails,
I gave up watching my fuel gauge a long time ago and now reset my trip-meter and go by mileage.

Would different clutch set ups help , always revs around 8000 rpm no matter what speed I am at , If I "baby it " ( keep it under 130 kph ) it is actually harder on fuel ?, would gearing it help any ?

Yea, you might be on to something there, it seems like mine is around 6K most of the time. Clutching off or worn belt maybe??

had a new belt from yamaha , but now clutches make a "wine or a light sqweel " sound when not accelerating ? Cant find anyone local that knows these sleds to talk too , this web site is amazing for all the info a guy can find!

I had heard there is a guy in Kincardine or ripley that knows his stuff but I havnt found out his name or number yet!

You're not going to get fantastic gas mileage with a 4 cylinder, especially running with RX-1's and F-7's. Maybe you need to look at other things, like are all of your idler wheels spinning freely, is your track aligned correctly and tension adjusted within spec, hyfax in good shape and not overhanging the back of the rail, axle bearings turning freely, clutches in alignment, skis aligned with correct toe-in, ski skins and carbides in good shape? Justin did a nice write-up about blueprinting your chassis to get extra performance out of your sled. All of these things could rob a little fuel mileage. My buddies were always pretty understanding when I had to stop for fuel. I always told them to keep going if they didn't need to stop, I would catch up, which I always did.

http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2912&highlight=blueprinting+chassis

Shark

Thanks for the input , went over all that and seems right , but not to sound dumb what do you mean the hyfax, I have to have the track ( what I would call too tight ) or when the speedo is around the 150-170 mark ( not true speed I'm sure ) it sounds like the track is skipping , when I loosen it to " spec " it freewheels alot nicer but the track " skips " under hard accel or when the studs dig in good under med accel , thanks for your time repling

I would look into the clutching. If it is clutched right you won't need to costantly squeeze it off to keep up. I can keep up with the best of them without full throtle out of every corner and still make it to the gas station when they need to. Best I've had is ten, but 8 to 9 is typical. I'm not running with an RX-1 or F7 ,not sure how far they can get on a tank. I've run with 800 polaris 800 skidoo and 700 vipers.

is there a posting on this site for " clutching for dummies " ie what spring for different riding styles ( more for real aggressive trail ) , helix , gears, etc, I am trying to find the post with detailed instructions on the chasis blueprinting and proper clutch aligning etc , I was always a Cat guy till I rod one of the sweet 4's so yammie stuff is a new learnig curve for me , I need to post a 92 v-max 4 for the neighbour for $1650 but have not figured that out yet either ( NOT a computer guy at all )

Sorry, link works here. I'll just cut and paste it here for ya.

This was originally posted by Quadzillaracer (Justin)

I have received a few emails over the past week since the post from hell, asking how to blueprint a chassis and what it means and what are the benefits. Without trying to piss anyone off I'll give my take on what has worked for me over the years.

Depending on how much ditch banging abuse and jumping over the years can have a great effect on how much work will need to be done to correct your chassis. The basic idea of "blueprinting" is to make the drivers, chaincase, and jackshaft move freely without friction between the sled and ground.

I generally like to start by spinning the mounted jackshaft without gears or chain to feel for basic friction in the shaft, bearings, ect. Many times to align the jackshaft with the chaincase housing requires the use of shims under the mounting pads. They will need to be different thicknesses and I like to notch and use washers for the shim.

After I get the jackshaft rolling -SMOOTH-, I focus on the relationship between the chaincase and drivers. You want the drive shaft to roll free, this generally requires skimming the chaincase out or notching the chaincase mounting holes to slide the actual case forward or back, whatever is needed.

Now after you have the drivers spinning smooth... you may need to go back and re-adjust the jackshaft. After you have determined that the drive system is spinning smoothly and friction free, I focus on the tunnel and suspension. Now all your measurements should come off the newly aligned driveshaft.

I start by checking the factory stamped mounting holes in the tunnel, (they are sometimes off from the factory.) This may require egg shaping the holes to adjust suspension. You'll have to measure parellel on both sides from the front mounting holes to the drive shaft itself, then check the rear mounting holes. After you have determined that the mounting holes are true to the drive shaft. Focus now on the actual skid frame.

I check the squareness of the skidframe by taking corner measurements and you may need a grinder to remove off the ends of the mounting shaft to get square. Also check parellel measurements... may need some minor tweeking.

Now your drive train should be friction free. Now when you adjust your track tension it is also a fine line. If you tighten it to tight you'll lose your rolling resistance creating pressure on the drivers...if the track is to loose you'll ratchet the track. I start loose and tighten the track until the track doesn't ratchet and I retain the track moving freely. Now you may have to re-align the clutches or engine because you have changed the position of the jackshaft alignment to the primary clutch. This is a game of patients and may take 10-14 hours, once you start don't stop!!!

When I aligned my Turbo V-4 it took 12 hours...this was a mint chassis with no abuse. I ended up leaving the jackshaft alone but had to slide the chaincase up and back 1/16" and I used a Wahl Suspension which required me to turn off (aluminum) 1/8" off mounting tube to square true. Well there may be more minor things to do this should give you an idea how to make it work. I know that I can sit with the warm up jackstand and roll the track with 2 fingers.

Your reward should be an additional 5-10 mph gain (depending), quicker upshifting and better life on components. This will be the cheapest and best gain you'll ever make. If you don't feel confident enough to tackle this job I wouldn't...takes lots of patients and time, but well worth it. Oh yeah... don't forget to realign the skis to the newly aligned track!

Shark

I have not checked in a while but I usually got 10 on my stock 92. Rejetted and set the metering rods when I first got it. I get about 15 on my 03 Rx-1.

thats really good (not to hyjack the thread,) but do you have to take the carbs completely out to rejet?there isnt somme trick to it is there. and we actually got 19 with the rx1 one time, but it was riding on iceroads!

Went back and checked my records from 94. I had bought the sled used in 93.Original owner had the sled back to the dealer and they changed the main jets. First time I used it trail conditions were not very good, so we did alot of slow riding and I was fouling plugs, so I changed the PILOT jets to # 47.5. You can get to the main jet by removing the bowl drain plug.

I checked again after a 410 km run ( last day before rain ) got 8.1 mpg ( us) driving like I stole it , the 06 F7 I ran with got 7.5 so I could be worse I guess !! I dont have to run synthetic oil $68/jug just good old fashion YAMALUBE !

Back