Anyone near Traverse City? Looking for info...

LOVEMYVMAX

I am trying to plan a last minute trip north to help me feel less pissed off about tip up being ruined by our crappy weather. I'm having trouble finding a hotel right near the trails in the Traverse City/ Fife Lake area. Anyone know of a good one? Dont need to rent a sled, or have someone make me hot cocoa and wipe my nose when it runs... Just need a place to sleep and have a little fun with the old lady. Lol. I just dont want to have to trailer it to a trail. All these ones with weekend packages are half a tank of gas (on my 4) away from a trailhead. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Riding has been going on here at Tip-Up-Town for two weekends. I live on Peach Tree St. in a residential district and riding has been going on back and fourth cross the front of my house for the two weeks that I've been here.

One person in particular is riding a '92Vmax-4. All squished down in the back......

What kind of snow you got up there? I know of a good hotel near grayling right by a trail but have heard trail conditioins are not great that far south.

Edit: Lakeshadow... I am referring to Devils Lake tip up down here. Sorry... MY tip up got ruined... Lol.

Last edited:
All I can say is snow is good enough. Sleds are riding by my picture window as I sit here typing looking out at them.

Hotel right there at 4 mile road exit? Forgot the name of it.

The motel Lakeshadow was referring to is the Super8 at Charlie's Country Corners. I've stayed there and you can ride the Grayling/Houghton Lake trails from their parking lot. http://www.fickandsons.com/ccc.htm

Another place to stay in Grayling would be Fay's Motel, North of town. Keith Miles is a great guy and the main groomer driver for the AuSable Valley Trail system. You can sign up for periodic email updates on the trail conditions, with his interesting brand of humor. He doesn't sugar coat the trail report like most of them do to lure you up, he tells it like it is because he's out on the trails every day. You can easily get to the trails from his parking lot. http://www.faysmotel.net/

As far as the Traverse City/Fife Lake area goes, the All Season's Resort in Kalkaska looks pretty nice and you can get to the trail that runs to Traverse City from their parking lot. I've never stayed there. In my countless trips up to Traverse City, Kalkaska has always had more snow than Grayling or Traverse City. http://www.tcwebguide.com/allseasonsresort/

Hope you get to go up and have some fun!

Shark

Now I see understand the confusion LOVEMYMAX, I was wondering how can it be that bad, they're driving by every day and night on sleds here ha ha... I've been on Devils Lake, Irish Hills Michigan. Did that Tip Up with the twin boys from work years ago. They're uncle always has an old big Johnson parked on the ice there.

Going back home today. Will be taking pics of stuff for sale when I get settled in.

Man, I have to say looking at the trail reports and weather forecasts I am scared to go anywhere in southern MI. Looking to go farther north.. U.P. Even Saint Ignace is calling for rain and 40* tomorrow. We'll see what happens...

Chris

The motel Lakeshadow was referring to is the Super8 at Charlie's Country Corners. Shark

Thats the one I was thinking of. Couldnt remember the name, but I met another member at Charlies to buy my 95 parts sled. Seemed like a good place. This will be my first trip north with sleds so I'm trying to make it a good one. My wife and I both took time off for tip up and now we're trying to make the best of this crappy heat wave we are having. Either of us getting time off again before March isnt gonna happen. Canada, here I come! Lol. Hope that isnt the only place with snow next weekend.

Chris

Canada, here I come! Lol................Chris I can sure as hell tell ya the snow isn,t here either. Gotta go way north. Quebec,s trails are getting good so I have heard from some of the guys with time and money to travel....Rob.

Back