HELP???? motor turns half turn either way and locks up any insight?

i have a 94 vmax 4, was riding last week came back to the house parked it no problems at all, yesterday went out to start it, pulled it started for 3-5 second claanged and then shut off, pulled on the cord and it wouldnt pull over so i took the clutch guard off, and grabbed the clutch tryed to spin forward nothing , went backwards with it, and it broke loose spun,just shy of a half a revolution on the clutch then stops like its hitting something, spin it the other way same thing,could this be a stator that came apart? our micro sprint motor did this once and a screw jammed in the flywheel, weird it ran great parked it then started it up and this, i looked at the tops of the pistons nothing is hitting, any problems or anything i should look for please advise, thanks

Well could be in the stator housing but unlikely, so take it off, it's easy enough, or it could be something high in one of the cylinders, most likely that rocking back and forth rotation is generally a bearing, take the stator off, and then pull the plugs and see if all the pistons move the same amount and go from there.........................

Maybe one of the airbox tabs? It might be worth your time to pop the heads off and look. If it happened at idle, consider yourself fortunate.

Maybe one of the air box tabs? It might be worth your time to pop the heads off and look. If it happened at idle, consider yourself fortunate.

lm with Kahunas, sounds like you might have a case of the white tab indigestion!

when you start taking thinks apart, you will find some white tubes inside your airbox, (these tubes help secure the carb boots to the airbox) they have tabs on them to help assembly, this have a habit of becoming brittle with age, falling off and getting sucked into the engine

Here is a thread with pics you may find helpfull

http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?5957-air-box-tabs&highlight=airbox

Last edited:
sad to say tab was missing and the rod is bent like a question mark, now i need a bottom end or a motor or a crank, and some towls to soak up my tears

Bummer, dude!!! Be glad it is toward the end of the year. Be patient and keep your eyes open for a cheap parts sled. I picked one up for 350 bucks and the bottom end was great. You just have to keep your eyes open.

I will have to go dig there was one side of a 750 brand new laying around here, I'll have to go upstairs and see if its still around

Last edited:
I know a guy in Wisconsin that has a complete 750 bottom end for a couple hundred bucks with the cases and is in good shape. PM me if you want it and I will give you his phone number

The 750 I've been riding around my track here at home had three of those white tab things broken off. They were all in the air box side of the third cylinder reed cage. I promptly broke them all off. I broke them off of the '97 I am riding also.

I wonder if they have an air flow purpose?

Sounds like maybe a ring catching in iether the top or bottom of a port.. maybe, just the first thing that came to mind, ice seen it happen b4

Back