Not much of a Trail Sled ?

Mad Max in NY

Hello All,
Got the 750 out early this year! Super wet snow and man this thing don't turn worth a darn!
I see that it does not have the OEM skis on it, does that make much difference or is this the nature of the beast ?
I have a Wildcat 700 that is much easyer to turn then Mad Max.
Would a different set of skis help? The skis on it are used but in good shape.
Suggestions ?

I've had my Vmax-4 for 20 years and have only used it on the trails. Granted, it's not the first choice as a trail sled, but there are some things you can do to make it handle better. There are many steering lubrication points under the hood. Check the steering column bearing under the handlebars, the ends of the relay rod that goes from the steering column to the relay arm, the relay arm shaft gets grease where it pivots, the swivels on the end of the tie rods all need to be lubed, and the grease fitting on the suspension arm. There's a bearing at the bottom of the steering column, but you have to remove the engine to get to it. You can also get an aftermarket relay arm that makes the sled steer easier. The suspension can be adjusted for better handling. The previous owner of your sled may have set it up for straight line runs and sacrificed the steering. Check the stopper band at the front of the suspension. The shorter that is adjusted, the more weight that's put on the skis and the steering should improve. The rear stopper band can be adjusted to the longer setting to put more weight on the skis. The front struts can be adjusted stiffer for better handling. You can download the service manuals from the sticky on the General Questions Forum and it goes in to more detail with pictures.

As far as the skis themselves, I've always had the stock skis and they bite good as long as the carbides are sharp. I've always used 8" or 10" carbides. If your track is studded, it will want to "push" the machine through the corners instead of sliding around, so a studded or non-studded track makes a big difference. There are a couple of pictures in this thread: http://www.vmax4.com/showthread.php?934-I-think-it-time-for-new-skins!!! of a cheesy invention I came up with to save my expensive ski skins and skis. I also felt the difference in the steering because the carbides were being pushed even deeper in the snow.

Shark

Last edited:
lf i were you, when i had done all of the above, i would check and research toe adjustment and its effects for snowmobiles. Your toe adjustment has a lot to do with how tight your turn is and how it will fall into a sharp turn.

l found the most help came when not expecting it, i put a Xtra 10 suspension in on a 93 and it turned 3' tighter.

plus 1 on the above..i have stock skies, lubed everything, and it turns great..240 studs also..i have no problems at all..

Check the steering column bearing under the handlebars, the ends of the relay rod that goes from the steering column to the relay arm, the relay arm shaft gets grease where it pivots, the swivels on the end of the tie rods all need to be lubed, and the grease fitting on the suspension arm. There's a bearing at the bottom of the steering column, but you have to remove the engine to get to it.

Shark
Nailed it! Thanks Mark the Shark and everyone!
Got time to get 'er back on the cart and get the skis off the ground. It was a bear to turn right/left with no weight on it!
Some penetrating oil will go a longs ways, equipment does not look damaged , just really rusty.
Soaking overnight and some exercise is bringing them around. Not as easy as the other sleds but should come out much better!

Check the stopper band at the front of the suspension. The shorter that is adjusted, the more weight that's put on the skis and the steering should improve.
Shark

Checked that to. Setup for shortest in front and second from longest on back. They look really crusty and I better have some bolts in hand because they are going to self destruct if I try and back them out. I did find the rear shock setup for the softest setting. I'm guessing that would be better on the trail not to beat you to death?

I did notice the ski seems super sloppy on the mount. Is that due to the Ski Collar being killed ?
They seem kind of pricey on e-bay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-95-97-Y...Parts_Accessories&hash=item234601a4f2&vxp=mtr

Thanks for all the replies;
Mad Max in NY

Check your ski mount holes. If the ski bolt comes loose it will wobble out the ski hole on the ski. That bushing or collar in the foot of the strut may be warn, but I am guessing that it is seized. You should really go through the scissor suspension.

I agree with LIVINLO, the mounting holes in your skis could be egg-shaped. While you've got it up on the cart, you should take the skis off. Unlike most scissor suspension Yamahas that have bushings, the Vmax-4's have needle bearings on the swivel points that need to be greased and/or replaced when they get rusty and fall apart. Some guys have installed grease zerks to squirt grease in them to keep them lubed up.

I know you were disappointed with the handling of your sled when you first took it out. I'll tell you a story that I've told here a few times before. The very first weekend I took my Vmax-4 out on the trails I knew it was going to be a handful. Not really meant as a trail sled, so I was told. I had my youngest daughter between my legs and arms with me, my wife had our oldest daughter riding on the back with her on our Exciter. We got about 20 miles out from the motel and my daughter was falling asleep. Her head started bouncing off the handlebar pad, so I turned her around and held her helmet against my chest with one hand, drove the 20 miles back to the motel one-handed. When we got to the motel she woke up, looked up at me with boogers all over her face and my jacket, and indignantly told me "you're smushing my nose!" I knew my Vmax-4 was going to be just fine on the trails after that, even wrote to Yamaha to tell them the story. That was over 20 years ago. Time flies when you're having fun.

Shark

The very first weekend I took my Vmax-4 out on the trails I knew it was going to be a handful. Not really meant as a trail sled, so I was told. I had my youngest daughter between my legs and arms with me, my wife had our oldest daughter riding on the back with her on our Exciter. We got about 20 miles out from the motel and my daughter was falling asleep. Her head started bouncing off the handlebar pad, so I turned her around and held her helmet against my chest with one hand, drove the 20 miles back to the motel one-handed. When we got to the motel she woke up, looked up at me with boogers all over her face and my jacket, and indignantly told me "you're smushing my nose!" I knew my Vmax-4 was going to be just fine on the trails after that, even wrote to Yamaha to tell them the story. That was over 20 years ago. Time flies when you're having fun.

Shark
Nice story Mark the shark! Inspired me to keep the 'ol girl. Besides that wildcat (dated track)can't touch the acceleration from 30 to 90 in just seconds!
Hole Lee Craps that lil dude is sooo fast and quick to it! Jets must be spot on as suggested right here on VMAX-4.
Sooo much better now the joints are lubed up. Its almost like too much weight on the front end! We can address that come spring, right now lets have some fun!

I forgot to mention how much I love the stock exhaust. Quite, deep sound and plenty of HP's!

Last edited:
:rockon::rockon::rockon:

I remember going out on a night ride by myself that first weekend and thinking how smooth it sounded with the stock exhaust, kinda like a bumblebee buzzing along. I'll probably have to put a stock exhaust back on if I ride in Michigan since they passed noise laws several years ago.

Glad you're having fun!

Shark

By the way, all that pretty RED caliper paint burned off on the 1st run.
Tells me exhaust is +900 Degrees.
Made a nasty Toxic Cloud, so I just idled down, opened the hood and prayed it don't catch FIRE:3devil-sm

BBQ Grill paint works good. Still holding fast on the 600...
IMAG5176.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Back