White Tabs.. Continued....

jst4fun

So i lost track of where the last postings were so here is the start of another...
I had a few minutes this afternoon so I pulled the air-box covers on my 92 to see if the tabs were ever removed.
I jst added this sled to my collection last year, and by the time i got done swapping the suspension out with an RX-1 skid all the snow was gone,
so I never got a chance to try it but around the yard....
Pics show what I found.... what really scares me is the tab in reed-cage #3 must have been there when someone did a carb cleaning prior to my buying it, because the tab was missing out of the white collar on carb #4......
SO BE SURE TO LOOK IN ALL YOUR REEDS IF THERE IS A TAB MISSING!! no idea how long either tabs have been in there.

Bubba...

ps- I used an inspection camera to take the pics, at first I wasn't sure if someone had already removed them, and didn't want to remove carbs for no reason...

white tabs 012.jpgwhite tabs 002.jpgwhite tabs 007.jpgwhite tabs 008.jpgwhite tabs 010.jpgwhite tabs 011.jpgvmax 046.jpg

It is believed they were only installed to hold the white plastic collar in place on the assembly line. Over time the plastic tab becomes brittle and breaks off. It will get drawn into the engine through the carb opening at higher rpms. It can hold open a reed plate pedal,or go beyond that and go right into the cylinder were it will kaboom an engine but quick. The older these machines get, the likelier it is to happen if not addressed. Hope this helps explain your question...Rob.

You guys got me so worried, drove up to lake house and pulled top off air box. Thank God all four were there. I snapped them all off for now. My 96 was purchased new 3 yearws ago and has 1100 miles, and the weird thing was the tabs at the bottom of the box were fine, but the ones at the top were much more brittle and a darker yellow/light brown color. Thanks for re-posting this, I feel much better knowing these dirty little tabs are out. Think I'm pulling out of my 93 next(even thought I spent $8-9 each for new white collors this past summer)----Just nice to know they are out after looking at Opsleds motor!

My 92 has e.g.t. gauges on it. #3 was down on temp. Found both tabs laying just like that length wise in the reed cage.

Back