perplexed about this phazer

BUBS SRX

After getting some stock carbs back on it with 95 pilot and 147.5 main it wont do anything but idle.
While working on these newer carbs I found there two little black plugs that go into the bottom inside the bowl.to me i have them in the right position but why on earth would the repair manual direct anyone at all to plug the pilot jet hole with one of these things??

yep go by the manual... i dont know how that carb works exactly but we can into a problem with that once... my uncle cleaned the carbs of a phaser, put the plugs in the wrong holes, and we trailered like an hour and a half.... when we got there the sled wouldnt rev up... tore the carbs apart in the parking lot and put them back together the way they were... ended up coming back home before he realized they were in the wrong holes

if you pull the main jet and look, you`ll see a fuel/feed hole to the pilot jet...fuel must pass through the main before it gets to the pilot jet...
these plugs, are held in place by the bottom of the float bowl..
look for evidence, as to where they originally were..
one may be deeper/longer then the other..

pictured is completly different carbs...but ones that work on the same theory..
Note: the rubber/plugs laying in the pan...they go into the pilot jet holes in the carbs towers..

dscf0058j.jpg

dscf0057tt.jpg

Last edited:
Ya, my Dad put his carbs back together wrong after a fresh rebuild and it cost him a piston. Get it right the first time.

Pilot jet must be plugged, if it is a stock phazer 480 carb. pilot and the middle.
While looking on for jetting advice i read several times that phazer manual is showing wrong holes to be plugged.
As one also wrote. if there is brass, cover it.

I am also jetting up a few sizes on my phazer, but having a little trouble finding what comes after #95 pilot. some write #100 but i can only find #115 when looking it up, and it only comes on a 97'

While looking on for jetting advice i read several times that phazer manual is showing wrong holes to be plugged.
As one also wrote. if there is brass, cover it.

shit, yeah i think this might be what got my uncle confused... that does ring a bell that the manual is wrong... look for evidence on the carbs like Al said i guess

Its a clymer manual not a factory i have the pilot capped as well as the center which is next to it as theres only three holes the plugs could go into. Im at the point i wanna get th BFH and make quick scrap of this thing. Its in great with 2200 miles and still cant believe Im having this big a problem. Ill take it apart again and try the cover the brass theory and hop it works.
This sucker ran better with the flatslides now it wont rev without popping and hesitation and the choke levers on.

Im also thinking fuel pump but it was good with the other carbs,just tossing that out for speculation

Bubs, that defiantly sounds like a severe lean condition..

do you know the history of the machine?

whens the last time it was confirmed to run good??

the main jet is open right? (no rubber plug involved with it)..

I know this is going to sound wrong....but try removing both rubber plugs and see if it will rev/respond well?

that hole between the towers may be plugged...if it is, removing the plug/s, should clear it up..although it may go rich, it should still react to throttling..

anyway, you can get it up here?
maybe between the two of us, we can figure out what the heck is going on?

Well my next steps gonna be move em around then out completley. If that dont work tryi repairing the carb with the broken/stuck pilot jet. It ran well with the flat slides just had the air screw closed off completley to do so. I tried to spray brakeclean around the motor while running and no rev up or seal leaks. Im thinking mods i can see without measuring cylinders and ports. Cuz this stock setup should be close but with em it blows chunks,with flat carbs it did 75-77 mph

Back